Monday, February 05, 2007

Coincidence?

Ok, so I have decided that this is more than just coincidence. Tell me, why is it that as soon as my car hit 60,000 kms everything started breaking down? The warranty on my car was, of course, 60,000 kms... that is, it would have been if I would've bought it March 21, 2004. BUT, I bought it March 22, 2004 meaning that I got the new, 100,000 km warranty. Therefore, if my hunch is correct, they didn't have enough time to switch over the computer in my car to say that it is to break down at 100,000 kms instead of the original 60,000.


The worst part is that the dealership that I brought my car to was determined that I had the old warranty. So here is how it all went down (I hate mechanics).


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7:00 am – Get to Hyundai Dealership, drop off car

Tracey: Good morning! I’m here to drop off my car for the oil change that I had booked for today. I also had a couple other things that I was hoping you could look at today.
Daniel: [guy at counter, super friendly] Of course, says here you want the starter to be looked at and the horn fixed? (the headlights had also both burnt out within 2 weeks of eachother right at the time as well).
Tracey: Right
Daniel: Ok then, we’ll have that ready for you for 5:00. Do you want a call when we know how much it’s going to cost and then you give us the go-ahead or should we just fix it all and give you the total when you come and get it?
Tracey: What total? An oil change is $42.00. There’s your total.
Daniel: It says here your car has 68,000 kms. Since it’s no longer under warranty you will have to pay for the other stuff.
Tracey: No I don’t. I have warranty up to 100,000 kms or 5 years for parts and labour, and 120,000 kms/7 years for powertrain. It’s still covered. [glares]
Daniel (he has an accent by the way, something similer to east indian): No… no no, when did you buy your car?
Tracey: March 22, 2004, the DAY warranty switched over to the new warranty.
Daniel: No, no I don’t think it’s still covered.
Tracey: Look into it. It’s covered.

10:00 am – phone rings, it’s Daniel.

Daniel: Ok, so we got the prices figured out. It will be $150 for the labour for checking out the car, the horn will be $24 and the clutch switch will be $31 and the labour for those two will be $90. Should we go ahead with it? That comes out to $295.00.
Tracey: Great. I don’t care what it came to since it’s still covered and so free for me. Thanks.
Daniel: No… no your car isn’t covered anymore.
Tracey: Yes, it is.
Daniel: I don’t think that it is.
Tracey: Well, look into it.

10:30 am – Tracey phones Hyunai Canada, explains problem.

Hyundai Canada: Well that’s interesting. By the date you bought your car you are covered for 100,000 kms or 5 years. I wonder why they’re giving you so many problems with that?
Tracey: I don’t know either.
Hyundai: What dealership is it at and what’s the phone number for them? They’ll be hearing from us.

11:00 am – Phone rings, it’s Daniel.

Daniel: Hi, Tracey?
Tracey: Hi. Get a phone call recently?
Daniel: Yes, yes, I’m so sorry. I guess your car is still covered, all of that will be free of charge. Sorry about the confusion. Your car will be ready for 5:00 like originally planned.
Tracey: I told you so. So, it’ll be washed and detailed for my troubles and stress, right?
Daniel: yes, yes we’ll do that for you, not a problem.
Tracey: Good. See you tonight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like, honestly, does it have to be that hard?? I'm just curious as to what else is going to fall apart, if there's more on the way to deal with, or if they have switched the computer in my car to combust at 100,000 kms. At least my car came back clean.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Good work on holding your ground Trace. Car dealerships...grrr...always an adventure. You are an inspiration. :) I always knew you had it in you.

Mike said...

I've found the easiest way to never pay for car fix-ups. Don't own a car. I haven't had one for 9 months now and it hasn't cost me a thing. :)

(I miss having a car)